Best gaming apps for App Store and Google Play in 2020
AppFollow analysts have identified the gaming apps that occupied the highest average ranking positions in 2020; the research sample included applications visible in Russian charts for most of the year (roughly eight months).
The study was conducted in several categories (Adventure, Racing, Role Playing, Simulation, Sports, Action, Arcade and Strategy) for the App Store (free, profitable and paid) and Google Play. In the Adventure category, Roblox has become an undisputed leader. This multi-user online platform, which allows users to create their own games, has achieved winning positions among free apps in the App Store and Google Play as well as profitable apps for iPad and Google Play. Among the free games in the Adventure category, Minecraft led the way on AppStore and TL Pro on Google Play.
The Racing category also had its winners, with Gameloft’s Asphalt 9: Legends game topping the charts among free apps for iPhone and iPad, Need for Speed No Limits among recipes for iOS and Google Play, and Earn to Die 2 by Russian independent studio Toffee Games among paid games for iPhone and iPad.
Several games have shared the top positions in the role-playing class. The winning free apps included Romance Club – Stories I Play (iPhone), My Talking Tom 2 (iPad) and Hero Wars – Hero Fantasy Multiplayer Battles (Google Play), featuring Game of Sultans (iPhone), Rise of Kingdoms (iPad), Hero Wars – Hero Fantasy Multiplayer Battles (Google Play) and The Sun: Origin (iPhone) topped the top grossing games, and Day R Premium (Google Play) among paid apps.
The winners of the Simulation category formed a more diverse group. The best free games include Homescapes (iPhone), Fishdom (iPad), and games for 2-3-4 players – Snake, Tanks, Football (Google Play). Homescapes (iPhone, iPad) and Fishing Clash (Google Play), while Minecraft (iPhone, iPad) and Motor Depot (Google Play) achieved leadership in the paid category. Minecraft also topped the charts in the Arcade category (wholesaler and paid) for Google Play.
It should be mentioned that some of the best games in the sport are also included in other categories; these include Asphalt 9: Legends (free / iPhone / iPad), Fishing Clash (grossing / iPhone / iPad), with True Skate (iPhone) and Real Steel (iPad) reaching the top positions in the paid category in the App Store. The leaders in this category for Google Play were Pooking – Billiards City (free), FIFA Soccer (wholesaler) and True Skate (paid).
Brawl Stars, a MOBA game developed and published by Supercell, reached the top positions in the Action categories (free and profitable for iPad and Google Play) as well as in the Arcade categories (free and profitable for iPad / iPhone). A similar situation occurred with PUBG MOBILE – RUNIC POWER, which won both Action (free and profitable for iPhone) and Strategy (free iPhone / iPad free, profitable iPhone) categories. The best iPad game in the Strategy category was World of Tanks Blitz 3D War.
Ilya Kukharev, Head of ASO AppFollow: “It’s not enough for apps to reach the top positions and grab the attention of users; it’s important to keep working on apps and analyze how they’re searched and found. For example, only 28% of downloads in the Simulation category occur after branded searches (for example, among us, Homescapes), with the remaining 72% of downloads as a result of unbranded searches such as “cooking game, game kitchen, driving simulator ”. The numbers show that the proportion of non-brand searches is quite high, providing some space for promotion with ASO. Customers search for games in this category using “general” queries, which means user traffic can be achieved without brand promotion.